Mechanical Engineer - Magnets
Posted on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
At Proxima Fusion, we're driven by a bold mission – to redefine the future of sustainable energy. Our unique concept, built upon the groundbreaking W7-X stellarator and the latest advances in technology, paves the way for commercially viable fusion power plants.
Our work in stellarator optimization, powered by cutting-edge computation and machine learning, is propelling us into uncharted territories of fusion technology. New higher performance design points are unlocked by high temperature superconducting magnets and we're leveraging this technology with advanced computational design capabilities.
We're on a journey to redefine the energy landscape, ensuring a sustainable future for generations to come.
Proxima Fusion is at the forefront of revolutionizing the energy sector with cutting-edge fusion technology. Committed to sustainability, we specialize in designing power plants for long-term viability. Our unique approach harnesses the potential of stellarators, building upon the legacy of W7-X and leveraging the latest advances in technology. In particular, recent developments in High-Temperature Superconducting (HTS) magnets mean that we are able to design a significantly more compact, high field device. Join our collaborative team of scientists, engineers, and visionary leaders as we shape the future with simpler, more robust stellarators, making innovation a core value at Proxima Fusion.
As an integral part of our team, you will develop superconducting magnet concepts within the context of stellarator design. These magnets push on the boundaries of what is possible and represent a hugely cross-disciplinary engineering challenge. We are looking for a mechanical engineer to contribute to this critical component of a stellarator power plant.
If you are:
- A creative design engineer with experience developing novel mechanical concepts;
- Proficient in engineering modelling and simulation (e.g. structural or thermal analysis);
- Knowledgeable in cryogenic and/or vacuum systems;
- Skilled in engineering development from prototype through to design for manufacture;
You will help us by:
- Exploring superconducting magnet concepts within the context of stellarator design;
- Designing mechanical structures utilizing advanced manufacturing techniques;
- Designing cooling systems that can robustly maintain cryogenic temperatures in superconducting coils;
- Collaborating closely with our team of engineers and physicists;
- Partnering with industrial collaborators to develop lab tests and hardware prototypes.
In return, you will get:
- Fulfilling Mission: Work on harnessing the universe's fundamental energy source that powers the stars. If you want to contribute directly to transforming the way we produce energy in the world, Proxima is the place to be.
- Incredible Team: Join a mission-driven, team-oriented, excellence-seeking team from all over the globe. We're working on fusion to change the world and we thrive in a supportive and rewarding environment.
- World-Leading Partners: We are supported by internationally renowned groups, industrial companies and technical advisors with experience built on groundbreaking fusion experiments.
- Shared Success: Live the success of the company by taking part in a generous stock options program. We aim for every team member to feel a shared sense of ownership, responsibility, and pride.
- Healthy Environment: We take care of each other, while pushing ourselves to our best - we are on a marathon, not a sprint. We offer language courses for team members and their families. Every team member receives a ticket for free public transport in Munich and on all regional trains in Germany.
Proxima Fusion is firmly committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse work environment. We embrace the principles of equality and stand against discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, race, religion or belief, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, or sexual orientation.
Our organizational culture values and promotes equal opportunities for everyone, recognizing that a diverse team brings a richness of perspectives and contributes to our overall success. We encourage and welcome applications from candidates with various backgrounds, talents, and potential. Our selection process is solely based on individual merit, ensuring fair and impartial consideration for all applicants.