Deputy Head of Design & Aerostructures
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Role : Deputy Head of Design and Aerostructures
We are looking for an outstanding engineer manager with a strong background in structural design and analysis to join our innovative team and help us shape the future of urban e-mobility.
The Design & Aerostructures team is one of the functions within the Lilium organization, whose members are responsible, among other things, for the design and development of the airframe structure, landing gear, propulsion and battery systems of our aircraft throughout the entire life cycle - from concept to detailed design and testing through to series production.
In this position, you will have the exciting opportunity to work within the rapidly growing Design and Aerostructures Team. You will report to a Head of Design & Aerostructures. As Deputy Head of Design and Aerostructures, you will work within the role and support the development of Lilium's design & analysis engineering processes as well as the management, development, training and hiring of engineers.
Lilium welcomes people from all over the world. We are a multinational company and happy to support our new top talents with relocation. We have helped our new hires to meet their Visa criteria and successfully settle in Munich.
Current DAS has more than 125 people managed by 6 Engineering managers.
Your Day to Day:
- Represent the Head of Design & Aerostructures Department when required
- Support development of engineering processes covering the entire life cycle of the aircraft - including but not limited to design, validation and verification processes within the scope of design and aerostructure organization.
- Support other teams with the expertise in the field when needed, including but not limited to the following teams:
- Research & Technology
- Configuration management
- PLM development
- Systems Engineering
- Supply chain
- Business development
- Support in independent reviews as a subject matter expert if required.
- Support the activities regarding with identification and creation of training content for the Design and Aerostructures engineering team.
- Support continuous improvement activities to ensure the functional processes are efficient and effective.
- Identification of any process gaps within the Design and Aerostructures engineering domain and ensure creating a proper roadmap to close any of these gaps.
- Define and track functional tasks in Functional Jira board develop readiness report when required.
- Support management, development, training and recruitment of engineers including deployment into multi-disciplined teams as required.
- Monitoring the compliance with the design assurance system for all engineering processes, including ensuring the implementation of corrective actions if needed and external supplier approval and technical oversight within the scope of design and aerostructure organization.
- Ensuring engineering / product roadmaps are aligned to the future business requirements and executed to plan within the scope of design and aerostructure organization.
- Support hiring activities and manage resource balance within the DAS team.
- Bachelor degree in aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering (specialization in aerospace, MSc/M.Eng preferred)
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience in the aerospace industry is required
- Proven experience in aerospace new product development programs
- Experience using design tools (CAD, FEM, PLM) is required
- Experience in developing and implementing system requirements is required
- Experience working with various suppliers and managing deliverables is required
- Excellent understanding of general design principles and technical interfaces is required
- Extensive experience designing composite structures is required
- Strong motivation to contribute method, tool and processes activities is required
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art engineering and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs is required
- A high level of independence and the ability to work both in a team and independently are required
- Goal-oriented, committed work style with analytical problem-solving skills is required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience leading engineering teams is required
- Ability and willingness to navigate a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment is required.
- Fluent English skills are essential, fluent German or another language is an advantage
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.