Material & Process Engineer - Composite AFP/ATL
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
We are seeking an experienced Senior Materials and Processes Engineer with AFP/ATL process knowledge who is eager to learn and ready to join a unique and exciting program environment. You will be responsible for various structural design efforts, including qualification and process development required for aircraft certification.
As part of the M&P team, you will work closely with various Integrated Project Teams to support all aspects of design, manufacturing, and quality assurance. Additional responsibilities will include hands-on concept development, authoring material and process specifications, and characterizing degradation modes to establish the safety and performance requirements for aerospace applications.
Your Day to Day:
• Support the design and stress teams for next generation aerospace products, including being responsible for expert guidance in thermoset and thermoplastic material and process selection, especially related to automated layup processes.
• Provide engineering expertise for the development and certification for a wide variety of high-performance thermoset and thermoplastic products, including epoxy, polyetheretherketone (PEEK), polyetherketoneketone (PEKK) and polyarylketone (PAEK) (PEI) for filled, short fiber, and/or continuous reinforcement applications.
• Work closely with internal and external suppliers to support safety critical design, establish material performance parameters, and advance manufacturing process industrialization.
• Drive qualification efforts by writing test plans, reports, and specifications and establish statistically based requirements for aerospace certification.
• Research new technology proposals and provide recommendations for rapid concept evaluation.
• Support various program needs, which include design failure mode and effect analysis, substantiation of non-conformance dispositions, root cause and corrective action analyses.
• Define technical roadmaps to achieve program objectives, including development of initial concepts, prototyping, verification, and validation efforts.
• Document best practices and share lessons learned in a rapidly evolving environment, through authoring technical memos and presentations.
• B.S. in engineering or science (i.e., chemistry, chemical engineering, material science and engineering, or similar) (Ph.D./ M. Sc. preferred).
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in an aerospace certification environment. Previous process qualification work in prepreg automated layup, joining techniques (thermal welding, bonding, fastening), additive manufacturing, or injection molding (over-molding, insert molding, and/or material qualification) is a plus.
• Experience with material and process selection is desirable, including establishing key process parameters and material properties.
• Highly driven individual with the ability to probe and challenge assumptions.
• Strong understanding of material and process qualification, with robust hands-on experience in the engineering, design, and development of advanced aerospace parts
• Self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as individually.
• Highly energetic personality is desirable, with a goal-oriented working style and demonstrated analytical problem-solving skills.
• Strong verbal communication and writing skills are essential.
• Fluent English language skills are essential, Fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.