Systems Engineer - Cell Modelling
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
We are looking for an outstanding cell design engineer to join our innovative team that will shape the future of urban e-mobility.
We are developing and industrializing breakthrough cell technologies with exceptional performance that would meet the requirements of the Lilium Jet. To read more on the topic, visit our Battery Blog.
You will be part of our Cell Technology Team and will be responsible for the design, development, testing and certification, in collaboration with our suppliers, of the Lilium Cell Models as part of an integrated cross-functional team.
Your Day to Day:
- Contribute to Lilium’s modelling technology roadmap in liaison with industry and research partners
- Develop and improve battery cell performance and degradation models under different load conditions and flight profiles using equivalent circuit models and physics-based models
- Translate high-fidelity cell models to simplified, computationally efficient engineering models
- Conduct electrothermal simulations of cells to support development of the aircraft battery system, define operational boundaries and support cell screening & selection activities
- Develop and improve algorithms & tools for cell model parameter inference and optimization based on test results and field data analysis
- Coordinate cross-functional data integration activities to support Lilium’s battery digital twins
- Collaborate with test engineers to define, improve, and analyze cell tests for performance validation and model calibration
- Develop methods, tools and processes to support modelling activities
- Collaborate with fellow cell engineers and engineers in other functions
- Work on any ad-hoc tasks or projects related to Lilium’s journey in becoming an aerospace company
- Sc. or Ph.D. in Control Engineering, Physics, Electrochemistry or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Li-ion cell modelling
- Experience with model-based development best practices and industry standards
- Experience with cell performance indicators, modelling and state estimation techniques
- Experience with designing cell testing procedures and interpreting their results
- 2+ years of hands-on software development experience in Python and third-party data science libraries like pandas and PySpark
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink
- Familiarity with advanced measurement methods like impedance spectroscopy is a plus
- Knowledge of materials and cell design is a plus
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills
- Proactive and demonstrating ownership; willing to lead key efforts and drive to closure
- Comfortable with complex situations with many unknowns, and creating clarity
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.