Design Engineer - Instrumentation
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
You will report directly to the Engine & Actuator Systems Team Manager within the Design and Aerostructures Team. The Design and Aerostructures Team is one of the functions within the Lilium organization, its members being responsible for designing and developing among others the structure, landing gear, propulsion, and battery system of our aircraft across the entire life cycle - from concept through to detailed design, testing and into serial production.
As an Instrumentation Design Engineer – Propulsion you will be responsible for the design and application of instrumentation solutions on the Electrical propulsion system used for testing, verification and certification of our Lilium engines and will play a key role in bringing our innovative aircraft to life.
Your Day to Day:
- Review and agree measurement requirements from different disciplines (eg Thermals, & Stress).
- Support sensor selection activities
- Develop design solutions for the the installation and routing of a variety of Systems and instruments for the measurement of quantities encountered in an electrical propulsion system, including Telemetry, Tip Timing, pressure, dynamic, temperature, radiation, displacement, stress and strain.
- Create 3D parts and assemblies in CAD (Siemens NX)
- Participate in systems engineering activities.
- Review fully dimensioned 2D technical drawings.
- Consult with engineers of other disciplines, for example Manufacturing Engineers regarding manufacturability of your designs.
- Provide input to Project Management, System Leads and Test Engineering Lead on project performance against established milestones.
- Author reports and document your work according to the relevant Lilium processes.
- Present your designs in Design Reviews
- Constantly learn new things – and share them with your team members.
- University degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering (M.Sc./M.Eng. preferred)
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in the aerospace and/or component testing is required.
- Excellent understanding of general design principles and technical correlations is required.
- Experience in instrumenting rotating machinery is beneficial
- Experience with flight testing is beneficial
- Good understanding of propulsion systems is required
- Project management experience is required
- Good knowledge of a CAD system is beneficial (Siemens NX is preferred)
- Basic knowledge with PDM/PLM systems (Teamcenter or equivalent) is required.
- Experience in all aspects of instrumentation required to validate an electrical propulsion system.
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously is required.
- Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills required.
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment is required.
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
- Work location is onsite in the Lilium facility in Munich, Germany
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.