Senior Test Engineer
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
You will report directly to the Manager of the Aerostructure Test Team. The Team is responsible for preparing and conducting mechanical tests on the aircraft structure and components. We collaborate closely with the design team to ensure the most effective test approach for our product.
As a Senior Test Engineer, you will have end-to-end responsibility of a test from its initial request until delivery of the test data, always keeping the goal of qualification and certification of our aircraft in mind. As recognized expert in your field, you will support and advise our design office on the definition and evaluation of test campaigns, as well as guide your team members on their test projects. For tests subcontracted to external laboratories, you will act as the technical focal point and coordinator between our design team and the lab.
For complex test setups, you will be the rig development engineer, including coordination of design and manufacturing suppliers. Moreover, you will guide and implement the development and maintenance of our internal test facility when needed. This includes the preparation of test capabilities based on low-maturity requirements using your testing experience.
Your Day to Day:
- For each test, you will be responsible of the following activities (whenever applicable):
- Assessment of the test request and refinement together with the design team
- Preparation of a test concept
- Detailed design of the test & measurement setup
- Built of the test setup, incl. coordination of manufacturing and purchasing
- Planning of the test execution, incl. test procedure and risk assessments
- Hands-on execution of the test
- Post-processing of the data and results reporting
- Develop complex test rigs and setups and coordinate our support teams (Software, CAD, Technicians). This will involve managing key suppliers.
- Evaluate test concepts with idealization of physical effects and first-principle reasoning
- Create and review engineering documentation for our test setups and results
- Advise the design team on the detailed definition of test requirements and plans for certification
- Feedback your findings and opinion to the design team for product improvement
- Support resource & workload planning and coordination with interfacing teams
- Be a role model for a safe work environment in the lab
- Constantly learn new things about our test articles and the way we test them – and share them with your team members
- Work on any ad-hoc projects or tasks
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering (M.Sc/M.Eng preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in aerospace development programs
- Ability to find creative solutions to complex problems across engineering disciplines, under time and cost constraints
- Good knowledge and experience of measurement technology and data acquisition systems is required (NI or Dewesoft preferred)
- Good knowledge and experience of full-scale mechanical test principles (static and fatigue) is required
- Good knowledge of composite structures is required
- Experience in fixture design & rig development with emphasis on manufacturability is required
- Good knowledge and experience in certification processes and procedures is required
- Experience with operating hydraulic control systems (MTS preferred) is beneficial
- Good knowledge of a CAD system is beneficial (Siemens NX preferred)
- Experience in ground vibration tests and/or crash & impact testing is beneficial
- Driven individual with the ability to probe & challenge assumptions
- Ability to work with incomplete requirements and to anticipate customer needs
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a diverse team
- Target-oriented work style with analytic problem-solving skills is required
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.