Design Engineer - Research and Technology - Propulsion
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
We are looking for an outstanding design engineer with a strong background in lightweight metal and composite design to support the Research & Technology Team pushing the boundaries with agile and fast iterating concept design and pre-development activities for the next generation Propulsion System.
In this position, you will have the exciting opportunity to be part of the Research and Technology Team for the Propulsion System and work closely together with two of our Co-Founders. Within Engineering you will be part of the Design and Aerostructures function, responsible for designing and developing among others the structure, landing gear, propulsion, and battery system of our aircraft across the entire life cycle - from concept through to detailed design, testing and into serial production.
Your Day to Day:
- Leading the agile and fast iterating concept development and design improvements of rotating and non-rotation components around the propulsion system
- Designing and optimizing components with a strong focus on weight reduction and design for manufacturing.
- Working hands-on the pre-development by driving the planning and execution of technology development and demonstration activities (prototype design, prototype manufacturing and testing)
- Working in close collaboration with the system engineers, material and process engineers, manufacturing engineers and test engineers to accomplish fast proof of design iterations.
- Manage the design data in Teamcenter (PBS, BOM, etc.)
- Create complex 3D parts and assemblies in CAD using Siemens NX
- Derive fully dimensioned 2D technical drawings appropriate for production
- Constantly learning and exploring innovative technologies – and share them with your team members.
- Working on any ad hoc related projects or tasks.
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering (MSc/M.Eng preferred)
- Minimum of 5+ years of professional experience is required.
- Experienced with the agile concept and fast iterative pre-development phase of the R&T process.
- Experience with lightweight design principles of composite materials, metals, adhesives, non-structural materials, and their structural behavior.
- Excellent knowledge of a CAD system is required (Siemens NX is preferred)
- Good knowledge of thermal, mechanical, and electrical engineering principles is required.
- Basic knowledge with PDM/PLM systems (Teamcenter or equivalent) is beneficial.
- Agile, pragmatic, creative and target-oriented way of working with a hands-on mindset.
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.