Material & Process Engineer - Fatigue & Damage Tolerance
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
We are seeking a Materials and Processes Engineer with damage tolerance and fatigue material characterization experience who is eager to learn and ready to join a unique and exciting program environment. You will be responsible for various design efforts, including qualification, process development, and characterization of structural composite and metallic materials as required for aircraft certification.
As part of the M&P team, you will work closely with various Integrated Project Teams (IPT) to support all aspects of design, manufacturing, and quality assurance. Additional responsibilities will include hands-on concept development, authoring material and process specifications, and characterizing degradation modes to establish the safety and performance requirements for aerospace applications.
Your Day to Day:
- Provide fatigue and damage tolerance materials engineering subject matter expertise for the development of advanced composite and structural applications.
- Work closely with various Integrated Product Team members to support safety critical design development and establish critical material performance parameters.
- Drive qualification and certification efforts by writing test plans, reports, and specifications and establish statistically based material allowables and meeting program deadlines for aerospace certification
- Research new technology proposals and provide recommendations for rapid concept evaluation.
- Support various program needs, including design failure mode and effect analysis, substantiation of non-conformance dispositions, root cause and corrective action analyses.
- Support structural analysis efforts in static, dynamics, and damage tolerance assessments.
- Define technical development roadmaps to achieve program objectives, including development of inspection, verification, and validation efforts.
- Document best practices and share lessons learned in a rapidly evolving environment, through authoring technical memos and presentations.
- Support the design and stress teams for next generation aerospace products, including being responsible for expert guidance in composite material damage tolerance and metallic fatigue analysis.
- B.S. in engineering or science (i.e., mechanical engineering, material science and engineering, or similar) (Ph.D./ M. Sc. preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in an aerospace certification environment.
- Experience with material and process selection is required, including material
- characterization and identification of key performance design parameters
- Highly driven individual with the ability to probe and challenge assumptions
- Strong understanding of material and process qualification, with robust hands-on experience in the engineering, design, and development of advanced aerospace parts
- Self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as individually
- Highly energetic personality is desirable, with a goal-oriented working style and demonstrated analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal communication and writing skills are essential
- Fluent English language skills are essential, Fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.