Material & Process Engineering Manager
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Material & Process (M&P) Engineering Manager
Your role and your team:
We are seeking a highly experienced material and process engineering manager with proven certification expertise in composite structures. The ideal candidate is ready to share and apply their knowledge, eager to learn, and prepared to take on a challenging but rewarding leadership position. You will be responsible for all phases of the composite material and process development efforts as required for the successful certification of the Lilium Jet.
As a leader in the M&P team, you will work closely with various Integrated Project Team members in all aspects of design, manufacturing, and quality assurance across a range of aerospace products. A strong technical background is required to influence engineering decisions across multiple technology disciplines, identify key technical and program risks, and ensure best practices are applied within the M&P composites team. Additional responsibilities will include the professional development of your team, reviewing and approving test plans related to material and process specifications, and establishing the strategy to identify key material properties that are required to ensure the safety and performance objectives required in high-performance electric aerospace applications are achieved. Strong verbal communication and writing skills are essential.
Your Day to Day:
- Provide leadership, guidance, and direction to a team of highly specialized M&P engineers.
- Define the technical roadmaps to achieve program objectives, including development of initial concepts, prototyping, verification, and validation efforts critical for certification.
- Drive the team to successfully execute various engineering initiatives related to material and process development, including planning, organizing, and provide technical expertise for novel technology implementation.
- Define the certification direction for safety critical applications as related to the applicable materials and processes regulatory requirements.
- Drive the material qualification efforts though management of tasks, including written test plans, reports, and identification of specifications and other standards required for aerospace certification.
- Communicate and document the best industry working practices and effectively share lessons learned with the team and the larger engineering community.
- Develop the purpose, vision, and key objectives of the team. Prioritize tasks of team members so that the key results are achieved.
- Responsible for the performance and development of team members, including hiring new team members, identification of key contributors, performance evaluations, talent and career development, and resolving underperforming team members.
- Responsible for the team’s performance and ensuring successful project management, resource planning, identification and initiation of new projects, and budgeting oversight.
- Manage sub-department budget and approval of purchase requests.
- People management responsibilities including the accountability for development and performance management, including hiring new team members, mentoring, approving leave, performance reviews, salary reviews, and the general well-being of the team under supervision.
- Manage ad-hoc projects and delegation of tasks.
- S. in engineering or science (i.e., chemical engineering, material science, or mechanical engineering, or similar) (Ph.D./ M. Sc. preferred)
- Experience in thermoset and/or thermoplastic prepreg material qualification is required
- Experience with material and process selection and allowable generation is required
- Minimum of 12 years working in aerospace is required
- Highly driven individual with the ability to lead in a fast-paced decision-making environment
- Fluent English language skills are required, Fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.