Manufacturing Engineer- Battery Assembly
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced manufacturing engineers to join our team! In this role, you will be the focused in manufacturing and assembly processes, characterization, and qualification processes both within the Lilium factories and within the global supply chain.
Your experience and expertise will be called upon to develop and deploy controlled processes in use throughout several components of our Lilium Jet. When working with our supply base, you will be instrumental in leading the industrialisation of our external partners to meet our vision. This includes the development of new components and assemblies, taking them through to stable production, following industry-standard structured approaches including APQP. To build up essential technical capabilities within Lilium, you will follow a rigorous approach to establishing the correct process parameter windows to meet engineering intent for building of development hardware, create prototypes and coupon-level hardware samples and data packages for technical approval, and create technical documentation for the smooth operation and control of our production equipment.
You will own end-to-end delivery of components/assemblies in keeping with our design and Materials and Process specifications and engage in design-for-manufacture topics to assure successful delivery to program. You will work with materials characterization technologies, perform inspections, scale materials qualification trials, perform critical analysis of supplier processes, guide special process approval in multiple locations, guide first-part qualification, all in collaboration with design engineering, procurement, and supply chain operations stakeholders.
This role will require travel to supplier sites at least 20% of the time.
Your Day to Day ME:
- Enforce Design for Manufacture with your design team to enable the goal of high rate, cost effective Battery manufacturing and Assembly, be the voice of manufacturing in design team.
- Develop, drive, and deliver all technical aspects of the industrialisation road map with Factory Project management and our suppliers, enforcing clear collaboration between the respective parties to secure delivery against business case cost & quality targets.
- Develop and establish material control methods to ensure material integrity prior to being included in our processes and advise the supply base on tooling solutions required to meet rapid program timelines.
- Design and create appropriate test sample geometry and accompanying process windows to support technical plan milestone achievements in collaboration with Engineering and Test functions.
- Use a structured process to assure consistent, well-controlled laboratory operations within a dynamic production environment, and enable fast, clear decision making with suppliers when establishing the improvement actions necessary to prevent common recurrences.
- Qualify special processes by performing a wide range of destructive characterization operations and generate vital technical data showing material conformance and reviewing the same technical data with the supply base in collaboration with quality and design stakeholders.
- Use a structured process to assess technical feasibility, producibility, and manufacturability of cure and moulding technology applications on aircraft parts.
- Create and review technical plans detailing tooling, process, process control methods, and sample characterisation to support fixed process approval.
- Write process and technical specifications, work instructions, standard operating procedures, manufacturing bill of materials and other documentation as required.
- You will make use of PPAP processes to secure delivery of hardware and guide the Manufacturing Readiness Level (MRL) growth of our on-site and supply chain capabilities.
- Mechanical, Electrical, Materials, or Chemical Engineering, or Industrial-related master’s degree, or graduate of manufacturing apprentice program combined with Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Battery manufacturing with experiences ranging from materials qualification to supplier support and product fulfilment
- Strong technical expertise in manufacturing, document writing, and sample control
- Demonstrable experience operating alone in supplier facilities, with strong communication skills that support the working practices of local management to technical personnel.
- Experience developing, maintaining, and leading strong, collaborative relationships with design teams, equipment manufacturers, and component suppliers.
- Demonstrated impact and experience in design for manufacturing and design for assembly activities focused on Battery components.
- Strong organizational capability with continuous attention to maintaining well-controlled lab operations, including 5S control of lab environment, tool and consumable monitoring, and continuous improvement.
- Excellent analytical capabilities, written communication, and verbal communication to solve problems with urgency and collaborate with varied technical audiences.
- Practical Experience with PPAP / APQP processes highly desired; Six Sigma DFSS/DMAIC Green Belt certification or higher desired
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.