Modelling & Simulation Engineer
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your Role and Your Team:
Modelling and Simulation Engineers are at the heart of everything we do at Lilium. The Modelling and Simulation Engineer’s job is to represent the complex dynamics of the Lilium Jet in the most accurate, yet simple and robust manner. We are looking for an outstanding Modelling and Simulation Engineer to develop, test and validate the Flight Dynamics Model, assisting in the certification of the Lilium Jet through the use of System Identification techniques.
You will report to the Team Lead for Modelling, deployed into the Flight Mechanics project from the larger Flight and Applied Sciences department. Your day-to-day will see you interacting across the teams, such as Aerodynamics and Flight Control Laws to ensure a consistent understanding of the Lilium Jet behaviour.
The Flight and Applied Science team uses a mixture of low and high-fidelity calculation, together with optimization methods and physical testing to ensure our aircraft and systems achieve our performance targets. We use state-of-the-art systems to deliver rapid results and encourage innovative thinking to achieve the best solutions, on-time.
Your Day to Day:
- Develop the flight dynamics modelling methodology, making use of emerging techniques/technologies where appropriate.
- Define and own the methods for System Identification and Parameter Estimation:
- Assisting in the definition of flight test requests and manoeuvre design.
- Ensuring necessary data will be collected and reconstructing the flight path.
- Determining identification criteria and estimation algorithms to allow for model validation.
- Work in tandem with the Aerodynamics team to develop the Vehicle Aerodynamics Model:
- Identify the most influential aerodynamic parameters and their influence on the generation of forces and moments, developing physics-based models as a result.
- Develop the aerodynamic data bank, ensuring suitable coverage and resolution.
- Develop automation methods for model development and verification.
- Define and quantify model limitations and uncertainties.
- Help to ensure that the Flight Dynamics Models complies to Lilium’s standards and governance.
- M.Sc./PhD in Aeronautical Engineering or similar degree.
- 5+ years of professional experience in flight dynamics modelling or applied aerodynamics.
- Practical experience with the validation of flight dynamics models against flight test data, including:
- System Identification and its application
- Knowledge of applicable standards i.e. EASA FSTD (A)
- In-depth knowledge of the modelling of complex, nonlinear physical systems, aerodynamics and aircraft flight dynamics.
- Highly proficient in developing tools and models using Matlab/Simulink.
- High level of self-reliance and an autonomous target-oriented work style is a must.
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills required.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.