Loads and Aeroelastics Engineer
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your Role and Your Team:
The novel design of the Lilium Jet brings up unique challenges for our Loads and Aeroelastics Engineers. The Loads and Aeroelastics Engineers are the figurative glue that binds disciplines together, understanding the underlying physics to be able to robustly predict Loads throughout the flight envelope. We are looking for an outstanding Loads and Aeroelastics Engineer to develop methods, calculate loads, test and validate predictions and assisting in the certification of the Lilium Jet.
You will report to the Loads, Aeroelastics and Mass Properties Team Lead, deployed into the Flight Mechanics project from the larger Flight and Applied Sciences department. Your day-to-day will see you interacting across the teams, such as Aerodynamics, Modelling and Simulation and Flight Control Laws to ensure a consistent understanding of the Lilium Jet behaviour.
The Flight and Applied Science team uses a mixture of low and high-fidelity calculation, together with optimization methods and physical testing to ensure our aircraft and systems achieve our performance targets. We use state-of-the-art systems to deliver rapid results and encourage innovative thinking to achieve the best solutions, on-time.
Your Day to Day
- Determine aircraft limit loads for this unique configuration and envelope.
- Perform linear and non-linear aeroelastic simulations, e.g., flutter, LCO, buffeting, using commercial and in-house developed state-of-the-art methods.
- Validate the aircraft models with the aid of on-ground and in-flight testing results.
- Support the definition of modelling strategies to analyse the aircraft behaviour.
- Support the development of the ground test and flight test campaign for Loads.
- M.Eng or M.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering or similar degree.
- 2+ years of professional experience in Loads and Aeroelasticity.
- Highly proficient in using Nastran, Multibody Dynamics codes (Motion Solve, Adams, etc.) and scripting languages (Python, Matlab).
- Experience with control systems and Aeroservoelasticity is a plus.
- Experience with ground and flight testing is a plus.
- Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills.
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial.
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.