A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your Role and Your Team:
The novel design of the Lilium Jet brings up unique challenges for our Aerodynamics Engineers. We need our Aerodynamics Engineers to understand the underlying physics to design and characterize the behaviour throughout the flight envelope. We are looking for an outstanding Aerodynamics Engineer to work across the function, enabling the team to develop, test and certify the Lilium Jet.
You will report to the Engineering Manager for Aerodynamics, as part of the larger Flight and Applied Sciences department. Your day-to-day will see you primarily interacting with both the External and Propulsion Aerodynamics groups, but also with the Testing department to ensure we get the right data from our rigs.
The Flight and Applied Science team uses a mixture of low and high-fidelity calculation, together with optimization methods and physical testing to ensure our aircraft and systems achieve our performance targets. We use state-of-the-art systems to deliver rapid results and encourage innovative thinking to achieve the best solutions, on-time.
Your Day to Day:
- Focal point for aerodynamic support of test rig design and related activities, assisting the testing department on a variety of projects, ensuring we are able to attain the necessary validation and verification evidence.
- This would include both rigs for Propulsion testing and External Aerodynamics.
- Select appropriate calculation methods and produce reports in support of your assessments.
- Develop tools and methods to increase efficiency of the team to understand the complex flow physics and develop, for example, the Engine Deck.
- Research and understand the complex aerodynamics associated with this eVTOL jet, such as hover in ground effect, transition and vortex-wing interactions.
- Utilise state-of-the-art CFD tools to complement typical RANS simulations where needed.
- Assist with validation activities by analysing wind tunnel and flight test data, comparing to CFD and tuning of parameters to improve representation of the model for our application.
- MEng or M. Sc. in Aeronautical Engineering or similar.
- 2+ years professional Aerodynamics experience in an Aerospace or otherwise high-performance Engineering team
- Deep understanding low-speed aerodynamics and flight mechanics, knowledge of turbomachinery aerodynamics is highly beneficial.
- Experience with Propulsion Test rigs is highly desirable.
- Ability to handle and efficiently analyse large data sets, using Python or similar.
- Practical experience in computational modelling approaches, experience in STARCCM+ is a benefit.
- High level of self-reliance, ability to work in a team and an autonomous target-oriented workstyle is essential.
- Strong motivation to develop and improve analysis tools in a fast-moving environment.
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.