Test Engineer - Electric Powertrain
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Test Engineer – Propulsion Electric Powertrain
Your role and your team:
The Laboratory Testing department is responsible for component, system, and aircraft level tests. Our teams develop rigs and run tests that facilitate research, development, and certification in the technology areas propulsion, batteries, structures, and electronics.
In this role, you will work in the Propulsion Testing team, which is responsible for preparing and conducting tests on the propulsion system. We collaborate closely with the design team to ensure the most effective testing approach for our product.
As a Test Engineer, you will have end-to-end responsibility of a test from its initial request until delivery of the test data, always keeping the goal of qualification and certification of our aircraft in mind. For test campaigns at external laboratories, you will act as the technical focal point and coordinator as well as support the execution of the test at the supplier site. For complex test programs and test setups which require new facilities, you will support senior engineers in the design of the test rigs and execution of the tests.
- For each test, you will be responsible of the following activities (whenever applicable):
- Assessment of the test request and refinement together with the design team
- Preparation of a test concept
- Detailed design of the test & measurement setup
- Built of the test setup, incl. coordination of manufacturing and purchasing
- Planning of the test execution, incl. test procedure and risk assessments
- Hands-on execution of the test
- Post-processing of the data and results reporting
- Support the execution of complex test programs in-house and at external labs.
- Evaluate test concepts with idealization of physical effects and first-principle reasoning.
- Create engineering documentation for our test setups and results.
- Feedback your findings and opinion to the design team for product improvement.
- Support resource & workload planning and coordination with interfacing teams.
- Constantly learn new things about our test articles and the way we test them – and share them with your team members.
- Work on any ad-hoc projects or tasks.
- University degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field (M.Sc/M.Eng preferred)
- Relevant hands-on testing experience is desirable (industry or academic).
- Good knowledge and experience with multi-kW electrical machines and drives is desirable.
- Good knowledge of a CAD system (Siemens NX preferred) is beneficial.
- Driven individual with the ability to probe & challenge assumptions
- Ability to work with incomplete requirements and to anticipate customer needs
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a diverse team
- Target-oriented work style with analytic problem-solving skills is required
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial
Want to know more? Then view our 'Why join Lilium' page!
Life at Lilium:
The wellbeing of our employees is a high priority. In our HQ we have many initiatives such as free healthy food and drinks, free in-house gym and health days. In remote offices we offer online opportunities to stay connected and develop yourself as well including our culture club, learning terminal, Employee Assistance Program and many more.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.